Search This Blog

Join Natural High

Paint Your Fingers

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Hair Types 101: Whats your Hair Texture?

As much as I love hair, I have never really looked into my hair type or texture. I thought I would do some research and find these hair textures just for an F.Y.I.

So of course the Internet has a multitude of information on hair types, textures, colors, curls and swirls, but I just wanted to know the basics:)

According to the website Curls Biz there are four different hair types and each type is broken down an even more specific type and texture.

  • Type 1: Straight Hair
Classified as 1
Simply defined by the site has simply being sheen.
Hard to Damage
Hard to curl
Most Oily Hair texture

  • Type 2: Wavy Hair
Classified as 2
Sub categories are 2a, 2b, 2c, which start with 2a being more curly than 2b and so on.
Hair texture is in between straight and curl. I would like to call medium :)
This hair type may have more frizz than most, because of its in between stage.

  • Type 3: Curly Hair
Classified as 3
Sub categories are 3a, 3b, 3c
definite by an "S" shape
has a curl pattern
damaged prone



  • Type 4:Kinky Hair
Classified as 4
Sub categories 4a, 4b, 4c
tight and coiled hair
according to curl biz this type of hair is the most fragile
describing it as a "Z" pattern
driest hair type
hair grows at the same rate as other hair types although it is a misconception that it doesn't



Of course these hair textures are an overall spectrum of all hair types with different cultures and races.
People can change there hair to make them different textures in many different ways. This is just an idea of what yours may be. . :) Through the research I have found. I am not a certified hair expert.
Photo Credit: Assorted Pics from Google

5 comments:

*K-Dab* said...

I love that pic of Jill!!! and the info about the textures...cool!!

SweetStrwberri said...

I dont know what I have..... I think its kinky! lol!

Natural High said...

Im still trying to test mine out. . I think its simply kinky. . :) lol

Anonymous said...

well let me add my 2cents as being a professional master cosmetologist(you cant teach black people nothing, lol)and having working in a natural hair care salon, you're on point with the hair types! but then you gotta add the texture, like is it fine or coarse, and then the type for curl-like is is a spring, a coil, a z pattern(which is nap city type of hair, LOL)...its sooo much, they try to put us in a catergory and you cant because we are too complex for that(which i love-cant box me in!) but my textures is a mix wavy curly, my curl pattern is a spiral, and my textures is medium coarse...im still working on wearing my natural texture, i usually just wear it straight and curl it and pin curl it so its nice a full and curly....ok, i know that was a bit much, but i cant help it when i talk about hair! Its my passion! love you Sash!

Natural High said...

yeah this post is just a general idea of what you hair texture maybe . many people don't even know that there are differences. . that come along with many of the things your hair can or can not do. .

I agree that there are truly no specific one area that our hair can come in . .my hair is many different hair textures. .

Related Posts with Thumbnails