Search This Blog

Join Natural High

Paint Your Fingers

Saturday, February 6, 2010

$25 Dominican Blow Out

 

My First Dominican Blowout Experience

When I first heard of a Dominican blowout, I thought, “What’s so great about it? They probably have the same technique and call it something different!” Let’s just say, I was in for a BIG surprise.

After my best friend Jenelle steadily insisted on a consistent basis that I should try it out, I finally gave in. So the night before I planned to get it done, she consulted with a friend of hers to get more information on where to go, what to say, etc. By the end of the night, we had it all together! Her friend said to go to Monica’s on Mercury Blvd (Hampton, VA) and ask for a wash and set. I wanted to make sure I had the  details so I wouldn’t walk out of the salon bald!

So I got up the next morning , got dressed, ran a few errands with Jenelle and before I knew it we were on our way to get my hair done.

As I walked into the salon it was a little smoky, I looked around at each of the girls getting their hair done and they looked so calm. Spanish music filled the salon, while one of the hairstylist swayed back and forth in a cha-cha motion to the wash area. As I walked to the front desk, the lady asked, “What can I do for you today?” and then I remembered, “Ummm…a wash…and set please!” I answered.

She then directed me to the back of the salon where the sinks were. Jenelle and I waited patiently in the back for a bit as we tried to think of how my hair would look in the end. I bothered her almost every two or three minutes about taking pictures of the whole process. We all know that she has awesome “photog” skills and I knew she wouldn’t steer me wrong.

IMG_1302

Then, out of nowhere, it was my time to get my hair washed!! I was so excited The hairstylist that was about to wash my hair was the “cha-cha” lady! Her hair was very long, dyed red and very thick. As she washed my hair very thoroughly, I was in heaven. But before I knew it, it was over.

She patted my hair dry and instructed me to go sit at her station. Then she got the hard rollers and silver pins and began to roll small amounts of my hair. She did not add any product to my hair at all, just rolled it while it was damp.  Before I knew it, she was almost done. I looked out the corner of my eye to see if Jenelle was still snapping pictures, and sure enough, she was! She finished and sent me to sit underneath the dryer.

I felt like I sat there forever, then my dryer went *bing* really loud in my ear! I watched my hairstylist finish her customers before me but all of the sudden this heavy set lady came from OUTSIDE and sat in her chair!

IMG_1304

IMG_1306

Another lady then came over to see if I was done and instructed me to go over to her chair, but I insisted on waiting for the woman I started with. As I insisted she went over to tell my stylist I was waiting on her.

The random “line-jumper” got out her chair and went to another seat. I was called over to her chair and she unrolled my hair. It was so bouncy, straight, and long and she hadn’t even done much. She pinned up the top of my hair and began in the back. She used a round bristled brush and handheld dryer with a concentrator nozzle and applied heat as she rolled my hair around the brush.

This is done from the root to the tip of the hair and the brush is placed on top of the hair first to smooth it, and then the brush is put under the section of hair and once the brush is at the tip, it is rolled under so the ends of the hair are slightly bent under.

She flat ironed it a little in certain spots to make sure I wouldn’t have any hair sticking up. Then she applied Chi Hair Oil on my hair to give it a shine.

Through post-research I found out that oil, hair polisher, or gloss is only applied after the hair has been completely blow dried and is finished as applying oil before blow drying would cause hair to burn.

IMG_1311

As she finally finished, I couldn’t believe my eyes! My hair was so pretty and long, I got up out the chair and immediately asked her name, she responded “Iris”.

I shook her hand and told her that I would definitely be back. I walked to the front to pay and told the receptionist what I got done. She then said “ 25 dollars”. WHAT?! 25 Dollars for this!! I gladly handed her my money and walked over to Iris to tip her.

As Jenelle and I walked out of the salon the wind hit my face and then it my hair. O my goodness, it flowed freely through the wind as I jokingly walked as if I was in a movie or hair commercial of some sort.

IMG_1307 IMG_1308

When it is all said and done, I know for a fact that I will be going back to get another Dominican Blowout in the future.

It’s long lasting and there is hardly any extra daily maintenance. I don’t have to apply heat to my hair as often throughout the week and my roots are still straight as a bone a week in a half after.

I just unwrap it, apply oil sheen if needed, and go! I absolutely love it!!

Thanks Kandice for sharing:)

shouts out to Nel for the pics!

1 comment:

Mz. C said...

Hey ...Natty High Check Out: http://lecoil.tumblr.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails