Search This Blog

Join Natural High

Paint Your Fingers

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Define My Curly Curls or Twist Styles

I have been asked a lot about how to get your curls more defined or how to get your hair to shine more.

I have found first styling your hair while it is still wet makes for better styling and setting, plus it leaves your hair with that locked in moisture it needs.

I have seen some interesting clips on YouTube via Miss Jessie's that gives some tips on how to finger style your hair. Of course depending on your hair type will determine how well your hair does with the wet finger styling.

For those of you that are a 2 to 3 texture this may work well. (see my earlier post if you don't know your texture)
Check out this Miss Jessie's Finger styling tutorial.


I'm sure some of you are thinking. . uhhhh my hair will not curl by just putting my fingers thru it . .well I understand. Twisting styles are also perfect too. .then loosing the twists out when your hair is dry.
Check out this Miss Jessie's Tutorial for an alternative to finger styling to achieve a shiny curl pattern look.


I haven't used Miss Jessie's yet . . Can You Believe it? But I have heard good things. I twist my hair all the time in the video above but haven't tried it with Miss Jessie's. I will be trying this product out and will post a review with pics. .

I find using products like Optimums 3 in 1 moisturizer creme is wonderful to work along with a twisting style and Cantu's Leave In Conditioner works well for me too. If you have been keeping up with the blog you will definitely see these products over and over again. .:)



It's always important to wear a satin scarf to bed too. Don't just go to bed without anything on your head thinking it will look nice. . .. no no no... :)

I have to also add that this are products that work for me. . . . I sometimes switch the products up using things like pure Shea butter. .carols daughters products etc. I will post other products later. ..
These are some of the staples. . :)

Generally here are some basic tips to get the curls going.
1. Wash your hair and condition it very well.
I like to comb my conditioner thru my hair with a wide tooth comb. This ensures that the conditioner is in your hair really good from root to tip.
Conditioner is suppose to enhance and give your hair a boost just as you would condition your body to get it in shape. . :)

2. After washing your hair and rinsed out your conditioner you should apply the leave in conditioner or curl cream.
(Note: there are plenty of times that I will deep condition my hair and then go back and add a leave in conditioner after rinsing the 5-10 one) There are thousands to choose from and as I have mentioned depending on your hair texture will determine what would work well for you.
My hair really doesn't curl.. I make it . lol.. . by twisting it and applying the moisturizing cream.

3. So at this stage, it depends on how your hair is as it's natural texture. If your hair has a defined curl when it is wet, then you might be able to finger style it while its wet. For me. I prefer to twist my hair then loose it out.

4. After you have fingered styled it ( see tutorial above for a more descriptive way of finger styling) then its ready to be dried in place. I let my hair air dry for the most part, but using a hair dryer is perfect. (the one you sit under)
I would definitely suggest using the hair dryer when finger styling because you are styling it with your fingers and want it to style that way and drying it immediately after will set it. If you twist it.. there is not an urgency to sit under the dryer because it is already set in a style. You see? You can if yo want though..

If you try this out... . I would love to see pics and post them. .

So happy styling. . .look out for an additional post that will help determine what products work well for different hair textures.

Here are some curly products I have found




photo credit: Cantushea.com, texas beauty supples.com, youtube, miss jessies

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails