Search This Blog

Join Natural High

Paint Your Fingers

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Reflections: Look What I Found!



My first natural hair book, "No-Lye: The African-American Woman's Guide to Natural Hair Care," by Tulani Kinard
Everyone say. . "awwwwww"

Anyway, this book was my self-declared hair bible and was one of the only motivators for me going natural when I did some 9 years ago and of course another motivator was the bald spot in the back of my head from very last relaxer I ever had, but I will leave that for the "hair horrors" post.

No-Lye answered all of my questions and provided a better understand of this thing we call "hair."

I used this book so much the pages are falling out.



Many people around me had their own opinions of what I should do with my hair.

Whether it was chatter about their thoughts on it being too kinky, unpresentable, down right "not cute" and oh don't forget the typical "black power" jokes. I'm glad I stuck to my decisions and sometimes that is what you have to do to make yourself better.

Nonetheless its 2009 and many more people are going natural now.

I was thumbing through this book and found some interesting things I highlighted almost ten years ago.



There is section in this book that talks about the harsh chemicals that relaxers have in it.
Here is what I had highlighted:

"Would you put this cream on your face--or better, on your arm, and leave it there for just half of the recommended time?" I don't think so. Then why would anyone put this on their heads?"


Here's another:

Just for the record: No Chemically straightened hair can be reverted back to it's natural state. The only option for returning to a natural state is letting the hair grow out naturally, then cutting off the damaged, "straightened" part.

Side Note: This is what I did, also I think in order to be truly natural is to not straighten your hair at all. That goes for hair dryers. . hot combs etc.

Natural Hair means just that "natural"

There is also a section in the book entitled, "What Your Hairdresser May Not Tell You."

I truly agreed with this section at the time, especially after my very last relaxer experience.

The author Tulani Kinard was making a point in this section to explain that chemically straighten hair can not be totally healthy, unlike what may stylists have said and agreed with at times.

She writes "Based upon my research and experience, it is impossible for chemically processed hair to be healthy."

She goes on with "I'm sorry. . but if you have a chemical straightener in your hair and your stylist is telling you your hair is healthy, 1. your stylist is ignorant of the healthy hair process, or 2. your stylist is not being totally honest."

Kinard also makes it very clear that she has many associates that are stylists and its nothing personal.

Also since this book has been published there has been much more going on in the natural hair world. Stylists and customers are educating themselves more.

Well this has been a long post but I just wanted to share. If you plan on reading or have read this book , share your thoughts. .

Laters:)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails