Search This Blog

Join Natural High

Paint Your Fingers

Monday, January 18, 2010

Hairstory II: KR Update!

Our very first hairstory featured Katrina Rene’e. 

Well, here is an update on her hair journey along with some beauty shots since she was last featured. 

trin12aa trin7a

I had my first blow out last week, since going 'natural' about 6 1/2 months ago. I was surprised at how much my hair has grown.  In fact, I didn't even think my hair was long enough to be blown out! 

I was shopping at the mall when someone approached me and complimented me on my beautiful twists.  That person had a blow out and their hair looked awesome - flowing, healthy and shiny.  She informed me of her hairdresser who was located at Bubbles Hair Salon in the mall. 

Immediately after speaking with her, I went to Bubbles to speak with the hairdresser, Besa, who I found out had been featured in Seventeen Magazine.  Besa looked at my coils/gel twists and said she definitely could do my hair.

I was excited about the idea of getting a "new" hairstyle as I was somewhat getting bored with wearing twists, everyday for the past 1/2 year (since late June).

Of course the day of my appointment I was nervous.  I didn't know exactly what to expect.  Technically, I've never had a blowout.  Many years ago (approx 12yrs) when I was natural, I had my hair pressed.  By the time, Besa had completed my hair, I looked fabulous! 

trin9a

She trimmed all the ends so my hair was now truly even.  Although I was getting my ends trimmed when getting twists, since my natural curl is tight, the trims, as expected, were not perfectly even. 

After my blow out,  my hair was VERY soft and shiny. It was obvious how healthy my hair was and I was very proud. It had grown a lot and my hair has a tendency to grow slow.

trin11A

I am excited to see how long my hair will grow with it being in it’s natural state.  That will be the real test in addition to it staying healthy.  My hair had previously been broken off (prior to going natural) and now it’s  back in business! 

It didn't have much of a bounce to it though, but it hasn't ever.  I think if I continued to get blowouts and 'train' my hair, perhaps it would a gain a little bounce.  I also noticed my hair has to be 'trained' to be curled.  My hair has never been the greatest at holding a curl and I see that still is true.  I must roll my hair, on sponge rollers, of course every night to ensure my hair has some curl to it the next day.

I've decided in order to avoid heat, I rather sponge roll my hair, then flat iron it consistently.
I only want to touch-up my hair once with heat.  I plan on doing so tonight because my hair is starting to revert back. It's been about a week since the blow out. I think I will try to get my hair blown out maybe once every six months.  This will allow me to see the true status of my hair (i.e. ends trimmed, observe length etc.).

 

trina trina1

In fact, I now feel like anyone who has natural hair, especially, if you have a tight curl like me, to get your hair blown out every now and then.
I'm definitely ready to go back to my twists! I didn't realize how low maintenance they are; with a blow out I have to dedicate extra time at night and in the morning to my hair.  With my twists I literally "get up and go" and rain is not my arch enemy!

trin beauty shot

When it comes to maintaining my hair I like to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  I buy it from the grocery store and put it in squirt bottle.  Also from time to time I like to use Carol’s Daughter’s Hair Butter.

I’ve noticed my hair being “drier” in the winter months and have to use the olive oil more consistently.  My old hair dresser also suggested Jojoba or Almond Oil. 

When she did my twists she used to wash my hair with black soap and sometimes tea tree (the tea tree agitated my scalp though so only used once).  She would twist my hair with shea butter (a concoction that was homemade) and Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel. 

I've received numerous compliments at my job on my blow out! People love it!  People liked my twists too, but I think b/c I have something new it tickles them even more.

I've gotten so many compliments it almost makes it a little difficult going back to my twists...lol.

 

 

 

 

Thanks Katrina for giving us an update on your hair journey! We look forward to hearing more:)

 

Photo credit: KR

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails